Home insurance


Are you just about to buy a house?

Then you might have to purchase home insurance before the transfer at the notary.

Not sure if it does or not? - This article is just for you!

Once your real estate agent has agreed with the seller, the last phase of the house hunting is mainly characterized by administrative and paperwork you need to take care of before the delivery date. For example, submitting documents for the mortgage institution, carrying out a structural inspection, and purchasing home insurance. Among the things, the cases house insurance needs to protect from is fire, storm, and burglary. 

Is it an obligation to purchase home insurance?

When you borrow money to buy a home, it is common that the civil notary will require you to purchase home insurance before the delivery day. The home insurance must commence on the day the property is transferred. However, sometimes you are the one who needs to take care of the home insurance before the delivery.

Want to know when? Scroll down!

Do I need to purchase home insurance if I buy an apartment?

The Owners' Association (VvE) is simply a collective name for all homeowners in a complex. If you buy an apartment in an apartment complex, you automatically become a member of the VvE. For example, everyone takes care of their own apartment, but together with the other residents, they care about the entire building. The VVE usually provides home insurance for the entire building, so that not everyone has to insure their home separately. It's that easy. So just check with your VvE if this is the case.

Do I need to purchase home insurance if I buy a house?

Since many terraced or detached houses in the Netherlands are not handled by a shared owner's association,  the obligation for purchasing home insurance lies with the buyers and taken care of by them starting from the transfer date.

Planning to buy a house?

Contact us for a free intake meeting!



DISCLAIMER: Thank you for visiting the Diagonal Makelaardij website. Please note, the material located on our site is for informational purposes only, is general in nature, and is not intended to and should not be relied upon or construed as opinion or advice regarding any specific issue or factual circumstance. Diagonal Makelaardij disclaims all liability in respect to actions taken or not taken based on information contained on or missing from this website.

© 2021 by Diagonal Makelaardij | KVK nummer: 78492297

Privacy Policy & Cookie Policy